AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center
Silver Spring, MD 20910
- Hours: For show times and box office information, go to: http://www.afi.com/silver/new/nowplaying/Calendar.aspx
- Alcohol: Beer and Wine
$9.75 General Admission
$8.50 AFI Members, Students (with valid I.D.), Seniors (65+), Children and Military
$7.50 Weekday Matinees (before 6:00 p.m.)
- Smoking: No
- Movie Theater Type: Art House
The AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center was created by the residents of Montgomery County. Here, one can simply watch a movie, learn about the film industry or take a step further and experience what it's like to be a filmmaker during special events such as the 48-hour film project in early May. Its three theatres seat 400, 200 and 75 people. Conveniently enough there is a café of sorts that serves popcorn, candy and soda.
- Atmosphere and Personality
- Area Classic and Cozy
- Concessions. Includes pizza, hot dog, soft pretzels, popcorn, candy and soda
- Entertainment, Historic Landmark, and Tourist Spot
- Worth Noting
- It is home to the 48-hour film project, in which teams of filmmakers create a movie in two days and later view each other's work. Each team is judged on their project. The theaters and conference rooms are available to rent. Pictures from the original 1938 historic Silver Theater hang in the lobby area.
- Metered and Street. Parking garages are nearby, and offer free weekend parking.
- Public Transportation
- The Silver Spring metro station on the red line is a few blocks away. Bus stops are also near the theatre.
- Wheelchair Access