Washington , DC 20003
Mon-Thu. 6:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.
Fri-Sat. 6:00 p.m. - 2:00 a.m.
Sun. 6:00 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.
- Price Range: $$ ($9-$15)
- Reservations: Recommended . 3 seatings: 6 p.m., 8 p.m. or 10 p.m. until last call
- Alcohol: Full Bar
- Critic's Rating: 4 stars
- Music Style: Lounge
- Smoking: Outdoors Only
Gibson is gorgeous. Soft lighting, low buzz of conversation, and the swish of the shaker make this a sexy venue. This is the place to meet up with good friends or bring a date, when you want to talk, chill out and drink crisp, creative drinks lovingly prepared by mixologists who love to shake it, including Obama's official bartender, Derek Brown.
It is a speakeasy, so in traditional fashion, you won't find a sign or posting. Just a single white light and a buzzer. If you come without a reservation, you're taking a chance, this lounge is on the cozy side. So be smart, call and reserve a table or booth, you'll be happy you did. Drinks are typical martini prices: 10-15 bucks. All of them come with a little side show; lemon/orange peel is flamed table side to add that extra kick to your cocktail. There's also the option of drinking on the patio (which seats around 40), and nibbling on light bites.
- Bar Style
- Lounge and Martini
- Atmosphere and Personality
- Area Classic, Cozy, Laid Back Casual, and Offbeat
- Up To Par
- Noise Level
- Quiet. Pretty low buzz, heavier traffic on the weekends.
- Light bites coming soon in 2009.
- Specialty Cocktails
- Average Drink Price
- Worth Noting
- The space used to be an old CD shop, and it's on the first floor of a brick building around the corner from 14th&U. Don't look for a sign, there isn't one. Just like back in the day, a single light illuminates a wrought iron gate, the only mention of "Gibson" you'll see is the label next to the buzzer. Press it and talk to the doorman, if there's room you're in. Call for reservations to guarantee a spot.
Take a look at some of these drinks:
Tatanka: Zubrowka Vodka (buffalo grass infused vodka), Apple Juice, Lemon
Whisky Skin (served hot): Grouse blended Scotch, Lemon Peel, Demerara Sugar, Hot Water
Salad Days Sour: Celery-infused Macchu Pisco Sour, Lemon, The Bitter Truth Celery Bitters, Burnt Cinnamon
- Payment Methods
- Major Credit Cards
- Outdoor Seating
- Yes. Coming in early 2009
- You will not find folks standing around a jam packed bar. They monitor the number of people carefully, everyone has a seat, be it the bar, cozy booth or table.
- Cross Streets
- 14th & U St. N.W.
- Public Transportation
- U St./African-Amer Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (Green, Yellow)