Just Cakes: User Reviews
THEY LOST MY CAKE ORDER! Don't risk going here - I placed a cake order over the phone (they took my credit information, quoted a price, etc.) and told me when to pick up. It was a speciality cake, a surprise for my husband. I had email exchanges confirming the order, look of the cake and details. I called the day before to confirm pick up of the speciality cake I ordered. When I went to the shop to pick up the cake - THEY DID NOT HAVE IT.
JUST CAKES left me with no present, with no cake, and EXTREMELY dissapointed. Not to mention, they left me to scramble the day of the party to find a cake. THINK TWICE before ordering at this cake place. They offered NO solutions. Only go here if you like to GAMBLE on actually getting what you paid for.
I had SEVERAL problems with this establishment:
(1) CAKE COLOR: I went to the store to speak, in person, with a cake designer in hopes of eliminating any confusion regarding what I wanted to order. I spoke w/ Monique & explained I wanted to order an anniversary cake and color was most important. She explained the darker a frosting color, the more it can change the frosting flavor, so she suggested a light color for the base and ornamental flowers in a darker color. I was fine with this, with the understanding the base frosting would still BE a color. I emailed the store within the week and included a color swatch as Monique suggested. When I picked up the cake, it looked white; there was hardly any color tint to the frosting.
(2) DECORATION: When I met Monique, we flipped through a book of cake pictures & I selected a four-leaf flower design. When I picked up the cake, it had four-leaf flowers, but they did NOT look like what was in the book. The flowers were not symmetrical and many were literally melting off the cake. The cake had JUST come out of the refrigerator, so there was no excuse for this. They looked extremely wilted and it looked like a cake student did them. While pictures on their web site and cake book were impressive, there's obviously no guarantee you'll have the best cake designer working on your cake.
(3) STREAKS: When I picked up the cake, I inspected it and told the counter person I was unhappy. She said there wasn't anything they could do to fix it at that point; she didn't even offer any suggestions or ask questions. Also, I had to point out to her that there was a very noticeable darker icing smudge on the almost white base frosting. I had to ask her to fix it; if I hadn't, she would have let me leave with it that way.
(4) OWNER: I left a very distraught message that evening requesting to talk with someone about this cake, as I was honestly embarrassed to give it to my friend. The next morning, Marge, the owner, called me back. She tried to placate me by offering a gift certificate at the value of the cake. While I did not expect or ask for this, as I just wanted to converse on what went wrong, I did finally accept her offer in hopes of trying the store again. However, two weeks have passed since the call and no voucher. To me, this is worse than the entire cake debacle- a store owner not following through on her word. Even if she sent me the voucher at this point, I would not use it. I have lost respect for her and her employees.
(5) TASTE: As a final point, the cake didn't even taste good. If it was an amazing-tasting cake, I could have dealt with the poor decorations, but it was extremely dense (as previous reviewers warned, and I should have listened to) and not very moist. Also, the frosting was supposed to be cream cheese buttercream and it tasted like standard buttercream frosting.
Overall, I recommend saving your stress level and finding another cake establishment.
The following scores represent the average rating submitted by 2 users:
- Overall user rating: